Today we celebrate the life of a much loved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother....As a tribute, I thought we could share stories, thoughts, memories.. anything you want to add, just send to me (Robin) ..
From Debbie:
I remember the time when I went down to California and I stayed at their
place and Grandpa said hey Debbie how would you like to go to SanDiago and I
said sure so we went and had the best times of our lives and this was in
1985 and I went down on the Bus and that was an adventure I well never
foreget. I remember we went and me and Grandpa went on the sky ride and
Grandma stayed on the ground and watched us go up in the skyride and we had
a lot of laughs going up and seeing Grandma sitting and watching us go up
and then down and we enjoyed the ride, I enjoyed that time because that was
the last time that I saw Grandpa and so I well never forget that time.
From Robin:
What sad news to come home to today. Chris and I have talked often of trekking out to Idaho to see you all. We thought maybe this last summer was the time to come, but with gas prices so high, and then Nana and mom coming here, and so many boy activities, we postponed it. Just goes to prove you should never put off to tomorrow those things which are important today.
The last time I saw Grandma was right after I married and Chris and I went to visit her. We went to the cemetary to see if the new headstone had finally been put in for grandpa. I will always regret I did not see her again, and that the boys never met her.
I do have many fond memories of her though. She and Grandpa were our mysterious grandparents... we did not see them often, so they came bathed in an air of mystery. They seemed to be from a slower life... they had time to sit on the porch, and feed the squirells, and drink an evening aparatif. They talked of their travels and visits with friends. They always seemed to know enough neighbors for a good card game.
But Grandma also taught me something I have enjoyed the rest of my life - how to knit. In those early years, it seemed as soon as she left I would get knotted into difficulties, and had to wait for their next trip to take it up again. But the skills taught then have been the foundation for many hours of pleasure and stress relief. I wish I could have one more knitting lesson with her, see one more dishcloth made by her.. talk with her of patterns and stitches.
But those days are long gone. Her legacy lives on in my love of card games, the sweaters of hers I still have, and the knitted things I have made for my own kids. Their love of nature lives on in my own kids who bird watch and request birdfeeders for presents. I cannot see a peanut without thinking of Grandpa. They were both special people, and I miss them.
I can hear her laughing now, eyes tearing up at some funny joke...she could laugh and laugh and laugh... she had a great sense of humor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, what lovely tributes. (Sorry, I maybe shouldn't be on this blog. But I thought I'd return your welcome call.)
Post a Comment